Puffer Vests & Tailored Jackets
March 28th, 2012
The tail end of Winter is lingering and giving us a few more days to work in some layering. Try a down vest over a tailored jacket as a nice high/low transitional look.
1. Weekend in the LES
It’s almost Spring but there’s still a chill in the air from Winter. It’s a perfect time to break out Spring looks, with one extra layer for warmth.
A knit blazer is soft and casual, making more appropriate for the weekend than the office.
With a more casual jacket, like this knit with patch pockets, flipping up the collar/lapel under the vest gives it an element of non-chalance. Here Gabe wears it more as a sweater than tailored wear.
- Grey suede sneakers by Kris Van Assche
- Brown shades by Marc Jacobs
- Brown down vest by Zara
- Navy knit blazer by Zara
- Blue cotton t-shirt by H&M
- Brown cargo pants by Maison Martin Margiela
2. Casual Friday
Tweed jacket, dark jeans, plaid scarf – classic.
A down vest on top – twist.
These layered looks are great for transitional weather because they can be easily manipulated by adding or removing pieces.
3. Brisk Morning Commute
Break the morning chill on your way to the office, than lose the tie and jacket to hit the pub after work.
Gabe takes it a step further and tastefully introduces pattern mixing into this separates look.
A solid, a stripe, a check and a repeat print. Well done.
4. Business Casual
I pulled this look from our previous feature on on vest layering Here.
A vest from quality fabrics, like this flannel herringbone and leather, is more natural with a put-together look than a typical nylon puffer.
- Burgundy socks by Marcoliani
- Tortoise shades by Matsuda Eyewear
- Black cotton tie (vintage)
- Tan wool/leather down vest by Penfield
- Yellow/purple gingham check shirt
- “Deerfield” Oxblood tassel loafers by Johnston & Murphy
- Watch by Montblanc Timewalker Automatic
- Silver 2″ tie bar by Tiffany & Co
- “New Standard” Raw denim jeans by APC
- Brown alligator belt and silver buckle by Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Thanks, as always, for reading.
Yours in style,
Photography by Alex Crawford.