June 16th, 2015
Rule #1 of Articles of Style: bring your “A Game” every day!
Use the comments section below to tell us who’s style you’re appreciating today.
Alejandro Rodriguez – LA
Alejandro Rodriguez, as featured here, is one of my favorite menswear designers. His line, Beautiful Ful, is a West Coast take on vintage x streetwear x “classics with a twist”. He has a knack for taking old-school menswear that has some serious history behind it (like this military inspired trench) and infusing it with a little urban swag – for lack of a better word.
Ernie Ulysse – Midtown
Remember Mr. Funky Fresh Flannels, bespoke clothier Alex Sumner? Well Ernie here is his right hand man, and, frankly, just a really good dude who’s always lightening up the room with some silly jokes about how he can beat me in basketball. We’ll see about that at this year’s Menswear Basketball Game on July 17th… More on that later.
Anyway, here Ernie is giving us a unique take on the vest & trouser combo, or as I like to call it, the “Sleeveless Summer Suit“.
- Waistcoat & Trouser by Alexander Nash
- Shirt by Alexander Nash
- Tie by Alexander Nash
- Tie bar Vintage
- Loafers Vintage
Dan – Boston
If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I’m cheating a little here – this wasn’t today. What can I say, things have been extraordinarily busy getting everything right with our online bespoke program. Either way, there’s some interesting facts about this outfit:
1) The jacket is a sample we’ve been using to test the base patterns for our online fittings. We’re working with one of the first American tailoring manufacturers to deliver versatile, unstructured bespoke that is meant to be the foundation of a man’s life-long wardrobe.
2) Speaking of custom products that are manufactured right here in America, these New Balance 998 sneakers were my design for their recent custom campaign. Check it out and you can design your own pair.
3) I’ve had these khakis since my recruiting visit to Columbia University in 2004. It was my first time in NYC and I remember being blown-away by how many people were at Macy’s in Herald Square. I had to buy something, so I chose these classic khaki chinos from the Ralph Lauren clearance section. It turned out to be a good decision, as I’ve worn these hundreds and hundreds of times over the past ten years. That’s the kind of menswear that gets me excited – the kind you can build a long-term relationship with.
Remember, when in doubt, “Stay Tailored”:
DJ McDonald – Soho
DJ McDonald knows a thing or two about casual tailoring, too. How about a washed cotton DB blazer in the perfect shade of burnt orange, some perfectly broken-in denim, and a neutral linen canvas slipper to finish it all off.
This is NYC Spring/Summer casual at its finest.
Well played, player.
- Shirt by Club Monaco
- Pocket square Vintage
- Jeans by Dior
- Linen slippers by Paul Stuart
Thanks, as always, for reading.
Yours in style,