Casually Tailored: A Universal Look
January 13th, 2015
Not sure what to wear? Here is a fool proof outfit that will work for just about any occasion: tailored flannel jacket (blazer or suit jacket), slim oxford shirt, and tapered jeans.
Here are three examples.
Adding the waistcoat can give the look a little depth (and maybe a little more formality), and a felt fedora was made for this type of combination. This is the same unstructured jacket that we recently discussed. It’s a perfect match for a blue oxford shirt and indigo jeans.
Gold face with a crocodile watchband, gold belt buckle with a crocodile strap. It’s all about the details.
The best part about a flannel suit is that it doubles as a blazer. Grab the jacket with a pair of slim washed jeans, a neutral cashmere scarf, and a pair of cognac chelsea boots and you’re ready for just about anything.
If it’s a little cooler out, reach for a simple chesterfield overcoat, a cashmere beanie and a sharp pair of leather gloves. These are all investment pieces that can be worn again and again in a variety of situations. Use our interactive Style Guide for more examples.
- Grey cashmere beanie by JCrew
- Black chesterfield overcoat by Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- Grey flannel glenplaid jacket (part of suit)
- White oxford shirt by Thom Browne
- Black woven leather gloves by Hilts and Willard
- Grey jeans by Red Cotton Denim
- Black pebbled leather kilted chukka boots by J. FitzPatrick
Thanks, as always, for reading.
Yours in style,