December 24th, 2012
A bomber jacket – beefy, warm, shearling collar, hits around the waist – is one of the coolest jackets a man can wear.
It’s masculine, edgy, and can be worn for a variety of occasions as temperatures continue to drop.
Here’s three examples from my wardrobe.
1. Luxury Biker
Despite all of the “dandy” affectations trending during these early years of menswear’s new popularity, the most effective outfits in men’s style will always be the simple ones.
This casual look, for example, is sharp and evokes a little edge, but it’s only a few simple pieces.
It’s all about the details: body-conscious fit, subtle color coordination, contrasting textures, precision grooming, etc.
Although it isn’t obvious in these particular photos, there was a subtle proportion play I wanted to highlight in this look.
A long t-shirt under a short sweater can create an interesting silhouette that is very slightly out of the ordinary in menswear.
More on playing with proportions and silhouettes soon…
- Grey tortoise shades by Matsuda
- Wool & Leather Bomber by Sandro
- Grey cashmere crewneck sweater by Nudie Jeans
- Grey scoop neck t-shirt by Alexander Wang
- Black faded “thin finn” jeans by Nudie Jeans
- Olive and Black leather captoe “corset” boots by Alexander McQueen
2. Fighter Pilot Approved
This vintage military bomber is a descendant of the original flight jacket. Early war-time pilots operated in non-insulated cockpits, making a heavy duty insulted jacket a necessity for survival. Hence the name Badass Bombers.
Here again, a very simple “business casual” look using only classic menswear staples.
In other exciting news, in January 2013 we will be (finally) opening the official Articles of Style SHOP, where we will offer exclusive one-of-a-kind menswear pieces straight from the Articles of Style styling closet.
This shearling-lined leather bomber is an example of the type of product that will be available for sale.
- Dark brown leather & shearling aviator bomber (Vintage)
- Navy stripe wool tie by Theory
- Navy & red plaid french cuff shirt by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Brown Leather Plaque belt by JCrew
- Grey donegal trousers (part of suit) by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Burgundy tassel loafers by Johnston & Murphy
3. Ice Road Trucker
A beefed up trucker jacket, like this corduroy number with “sheepskin” lining, is an awesome casual jacket, especially in a navy/white color combo which looks great on everybody.
You can throw it over just about anything, from a simple weekend look to a shirt & tie for your commute to the office.
Again, the key is to keep the outfit simple and the details subtle – like these leather braided braces and houndstooth flannel trousers complete with rear-adjuster and leather buttons.
And of course, keep your boot game proper.
- Navy corduroy bomber jacket by Levis (Vintage)
- Oatmeal hand-knit scarf by Yokoo Scarves
- Denim dress shirt by Michael Andrews Bespoke
- Watch by Montblanc Timewalker Automatic
- Nato Striped grosgrain watch strap by Corvus
- Brown leather braided braces Vintage
- Brown micro-houndstooth trousers by Michael Andrews Bespoke (Cloth by Ariston A 947/11)
- Oxblood captoe dress boots by Scarpe di Bianco
Thanks, as always, for reading – and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Yours in style,
Photography by Alex Crawford.