How to Properly Wear A Tie Bar
December 7th, 2012
– Placement is key. It should be worn around the sternum, just below the chest muscles.
– The tie bar should be the same width, or slightly narrower, than the tie. Never wider.
– It sounds simple, but it’s purpose is to fasten the tie to the shirt. So make sure it’s not swinging around on the tie.
– Lift the top of your tie slightly before attaching it, creating depth with a subtle “bow” above the bar. To accommodate for this, you might want to fasten your tie a touch on the longer side.
– Tie bars come in countless shapes, styles and metals. The easiest to pull-off is simple and silver. Don’t forget to match your metals.
– Wear it straight across. Perpendicular to the tie, not at a weird angle.
– Make sure your tie knot is on point: properly dimpled and not gapping off the collar.
– Don’t wear it with a waistcoat, cardigan or sweater vest as these pieces already hold your tie in place. A tie bar here can seem redundant.
Thanks for reading.
Yours in style,
Photography by Alex Crawford.